Salty and perfectly roasted, these roasted air fryer pumpkin seeds make a healthy snack and the perfect garnish for salads and soups.
These crunchy air fryer pumpkin seeds can use whole pumpkin seeds, or pepitas, which are pumpkin seeds with the outer husk removed. They are so delicious when roasted.
The tasty seeds are tossed in Tamari or soy sauce before adding to the air fryer basket. This gives them a little saltiness and umami flavor.
Fresh pumpkin seeds or pepitas
Crunchy pumpkin seeds are a great snack to eat. They have a nice nutty flavor.
You can use either whole pumpkin seeds or pepitas in this recipe, but pepitas are recommended. Pepitas will need less time to cook than whole pumpkin seeds and they are more flavorful. This is because whole pumpkin seeds have an outer white shell. This means the tamari coating won't reach the pepita inside. Whole pumpkin seeds also have a thicker texture to chew through too.
If you are using seeds from a fresh pumpkin you will need to clean the pumpkin seeds first from the pumpkin pulp before frying them.
Pumpkin seeds have many health benefits and they are a nutritious snack. They are a good source of protein, healthy fats, iron, vitamin c, calcium, and beta-carotene plus more!
Tamari or soy sauce
Either can be used in this recipe, but tamari is the best option.
Tamari and soy sauce are similar, but they have their differences too. Tamari contains no wheat and it is slightly less salty and a little thicker than soy sauce. For this reason, it coats the outside of the pumpkin seeds better.
This easy recipe uses only 3 ingredients. Find the details in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Pepitas or fresh pumpkin seeds
- Tamari or soy sauce
- Olive oil - a small amount of oil helps to coat the seeds better
Cleaning the seeds
When using whole pumpkin seeds, you will need to remove them from the pumpkin and clean them first.
Scoop the seeds out of your pumpkin and pull off the stringy pumpkin guts around them. Place in a colander or sieve and rinse them in cold water thoroughly to remove any of the leftover stringy pulp. Dry the cleaned seeds well on a clean kitchen towel before continuing with the recipe.
Air fryer – These air fryer pumpkin seeds are made in a 5.8-quart air fryer. Preheat the air fryer before adding in the seed so it can start blowing hot air right away when it’s cooking.
Preheat the air fryer oven to 300°F/150°C.
In a bowl, combine the pepitas or whole pumpkin seeds. Drizzle over tamari or soy sauce and vegetable oil. Toss it all together to coat.
Lay the seeds in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
Fry for 15-25 minutes, shaking the air fryer basket regularly until the seeds are browned and crispy. The cook time for pepitas will be less than for whole pumpkin seeds.
Let the seeds cool down to room temperature for at least an hour before storing them in an airtight container. If they aren't cooled properly, they will become soft.
Sprinkle the roasted seeds over your favorite salads or in soups, or just enjoy them as a tasty snack.
Other flavor ideas
There are many different ways to flavor the seeds. Next time, try these other flavor combinations!
- Cinnamon sugar pumpkin seeds - Toss the pumpkin seeds in a little melted butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar for a sweet twist. You could use pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon too.
- Add your favorite seasoning blend
- Toss the seeds in a little garlic powder and a pinch of cayenne pepper or chili powder for a spicy kick
More air fryer recipes
- 1 cup pepitas
- 1 Tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat the air fryer oven to 300°F/150°C.
- In a bowl, combine the pepitas. Drizzle over tamari or soy sauce and vegetable oil. Toss it all together to coat.
- Lay the seeds in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Fry for around 15 minutes, shaking the air fryer basket regularly until the seeds are browned and crispy.
- Let the seeds cool down to room temperature for at least an hour before storing them in an airtight container. If they aren’t cooled properly, they will become soft.
Amount Per Serving Calories 61Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 159mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 3g