Jazz up your asparagus in the air fryer by adding a delicious cheesy herb crumb! They make a great side dish for summer.
This is such a simple way to prepare fresh asparagus spears. They are laid out in the air fryer basket and covered with a delicious blanket of bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, herbs, garlic and lemon zest.
Asparagus spears don't need long in the air fryer at all too, so it's the perfect side dish if you're short on time.
Asparagus is a low carb vegetable that's great for bone health and a great source of nutrients. It is rich in fiber, vitamins A, C and K and folate. Air frying is a great way to cook them and it's fast!
About this air fryer asparagus recipe
- Quick to make. Remove the ends of the asparagus, mix together the crumb topping and add them to the air fryer in a single layer. Then they just need around 7 minutes of cooking time.
- Healthy. Asparagus is a super healthy vegetable and the addition of the lemon and herbs in the topping adds more goodness. There's less oil in an air fryer recipe too than if they were made in the oven.
- Versatile. The herb crumb has a selection of fresh herbs, and you can tweak this to use the herbs you love most!
- The perfect side dish your favorite main course. Serve these alongside your favorite protein or pasta.
Air fryer – This air-fried asparagus recipe is made in a 5.8-quart air fryer, but you can make them in whatever air fryer you have.
You only need simple ingredients for this easy side dish. Find the full list of ingredient amounts in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here is a rundown of what you will need.
- Asparagus spears - The best asparagus for this dish are the thicker asparagus with thick stalks. The very thin and spindly asparagus will cook too quickly. Late spring and early summer is the best time for fresh asparagus.
- Coarse bread crumbs
- Fresh herbs - A selection of your favorite 2-3 herbs. For example, sage, cilantro, parsley, oregano, marjoram, thyme and rosemary.
- Lemon zest
- Garlic cloves (or garlic powder)
- Parmesan cheese - This will melt in the air fryer and create a bread crumb and parmesan crust.
- Olive oil - just a little oil to hold the crumb together.
- Salt and black pepper
Preparing asparagus is very easy. The best way to do this is to give them a wash, and then snap the tough part of the bottom of the asparagus off. If you bend the bottom of the asparagus, there will be a natural breaking point where the bottom will easily snap off.
Trim asparagus by removing the woody ends. Set them aside.
In a small bowl add the bread crumbs.
Finely chop the herbs and mince the garlic clove. Grate the parmesan cheese and zest the lemon.
Add these to the bowl of bread crumbs along with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Stir it into a crumbly mixture.
Lay the asparagus in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
If you choose to lay down parchment paper first, ensure there are holes cut into it to ensure adequate circulation of hot air.
Layer the crumb mixture over top of the asparagus, patting it down gently.
Air fry at 400°F/200°C for around 7 minutes until the bread crumbs are golden brown and the asparagus is tender.
Remove the asparagus from the air fryer by sliding a spatula carefully underneath and transporting them to a plate. The cheese in the crumb should help hold it together.
Leftover asparagus can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Other air fryer recipes
- Air fried Bell-peppers
- Korean fried chicken in the air fryer
- Indian spiced cauliflower in the air fyer
- 1 pound (450g) large asparagus spears
- ¾ cup loosely packed mixed fresh herbs (see notes)
- ⅓ cup coarse bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Trim asparagus by removing the woody ends. Set them aside.
- Finely chop the fresh herbs. I like to put them in a glass and then snip them up finely with scissors.
- In a small bowl mix bread crumbs, herbs, minced garlic, grated parmesan, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Lay the asparagus in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Layer the crumb mixture over top of the asparagus, patting it down gently.
- Air fry at 400°F/200°C for around 7 minutes until the bread crumbs are golden brown and the asparagus is tender.
- Remove the asparagus from the air fryer by sliding a spatula carefully underneath and transporting them to a plate. The cheese in the crumb should help hold it together.
- Serve with a wedge of fresh lemon.
* A selection of your favorite 2-3 herbs. For example, choose a couple out of sage, cilantro, parsley, oregano, marjoram, thyme and rosemary.
If you don't have fresh herbs, you can swap it for 1-2 teaspoons of dried herbs
Amount Per Serving Calories 120Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 7mgSodium 347mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 4g